This will be our seventh year to have an international mission trip over spring break from Saturday March 11 to Saturday March 18. We will go to Honduras and work with the Missioners of Christ based in Comayagua. The group consisting this year of 18 students, one staff member and a priest will accompany the missioners in several mountain villages in the southern part of Honduras. The group starts each day by doing home visits sharing the Gospel with the families and inviting them to participate in different programs. The group runs a children’s ministry in the afternoon and in the early evening, they lead ministry nights for youth, teens, and the adults. It will be an incredible opportunity to share the love and joy of our Catholic faith with the people of Honduras.
We will be working with a group called the Missioners of Christ. The Missioners are a “Catholic Christian community united by common prayer and common ministry.” They have been serving the people of Honduras since 1998 and have lived in Honduras since 2003 at the invitation of the Bishop of Comayagua. They work in partnership with the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and the Diocese of Comayagua implementing outreaches to meet the needs of the poor and creating programs for discipleship and evangelization for the youth and young adults in the local villages. You can learn more about the Missioners on their website at www.missioners.org
The total cost of the experience will be about $1,500 (depending on the cost of airline tickets)
- This includes:
- Flight to and from Honduras (we will fly United Airlines out of Houston);
- Room and Meals in Honduras;
- In-country travel;
- Missionary Travel insurance;
- Training, preparation, and supplies;
- A donation for the Missioners above the minimum cost for our stay.
- This does not include:
- Spending money in Honduras
- Any meals on the way to and from Houston.
There will be several opportunities for fundraising. Through dedication and hard work, you can raise a part of the money needed for this experience. If accepted, a deposit of $300 will need to be paid at the receptionist desk by October 16th.
Completed applications must be returned to the receptionist or submitted online no later than Sunday, October 9th, 2016.
Required meetings and activities
- Preparation meetings are scheduled on Sundays from 3:30-5 PM on Oct. 16 & 30, Nov. 13, Jan. 22 & 29, Feb. 12 & 26, and March 5.
- A workshop for all three mission trip teams is scheduled for Mon., Jan.16 from 12:30PM-5 PM.
- A post-mission meeting will take place following the mission trip.
- Parking lot fundraising: all participants are required to man the parking lot for two evenings on Saturdays from 9:30 PM to 1 AM. (Dates are flexible)
- Spaghetti Dinner: all participants are required to help with the Spaghetti Diner to take place at the Work of Human Hands fair Trade Christmas Sale on Sunday December 4.
"We were invited to have dinner in one of the homes and the elderly woman seemed very happy and at peace that we were in her home. Then at the time we had dinner, they gave everything they had and more. Realizing that God has no barriers and that He will always provide for His people was an experience that truly changed me."
"When I went to Honduras, I experienced a simplicity and a wholeness in the people that I did not yet see in the States. Yes, these people lived without many material things, but they were so in touch with what mattered--their faith, their families and their relationships."
"I was changed by one of the women in our mountain village. She told us how hard it is to live in poverty and sickness and that they are constantly criticized by others. However, she said what really gets them through is the hope of one day having eternal happiness with God."
"The one word I would use to describe the Honduran people is genuine.... God really challenged me to be genuine and trust Him, not relying on my own strength."