Sunday, September 9, 2007, 2:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Location: Main Church
The Main Church is located at 603 Church Ave. one block North of Texas A&M in Northgate.
EM stands for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.
EM's are those of us who receive a special commission from our bishop to help distribute Communion at Mass when there are not enough "ordinary ministers" (priests and deacons).
Who is eligible? Catholics who have received the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation) are eligible to serve as EM's. If you haven't received these Sacraments and would like to find out more, contact Katie Collins, our RCIA diector.
I'm an EM at my home parish, do I need to come to the class to be an EM here? Yes, for a couple reasons. Each church has it's own layout and circumstances which require customized procedures. Also, your commission as an EM is actually granted by the local bishop - so if your home parish is outside the diocese of Austin, our Bishop Gregory Aymond will commission you as an EM for this diocese.
I'm already an EM at St. Mary's - do I need to come to the training again?
- Returning EM's are encouraged to attend, especially since much has changed things have changes since the last round of trainings, but:
- If you attended a training this past spring or summer you don't have to attend, since the trainings reflect most of our attend again because those trainings reflected our current procedure. But please email us to make sure you are on the new schedule.
- If you trained last fall or before, you will need to attend. The procedure have been overhauled since then, and want to make sure everyone has the benefit of training on the same system so the liturgy goes smoothly, and without a lot of confusion.
How often will I be able to serve? Is there an EM schedule?
- During the fall and spring we make a schedule. It usually works out that you'll be scheduled about twice per month (but you can volunteer at any Mass you attend if for some reason not enough scheduled EM's are present)
- During the summer we don't make a schedule, so you can serve any time you go to Mass (first-come-first-serve).
- Daily Mass - You can serve as often as you wish at daily Mass (we don't make a schedule for daily Mass, so it's first-come-first-serve).
All are invited to join the Liturgical Ministries (EM, Lector, or Usher) at St. Mary's. If you've been wanting to do more with/for the Church but aren't able to because of work, school, or family commitments during the week, this is an especially good option since it requires very little time outside of Mass. Contact Mike for more info about any of these ways to serve.