Sunday, February 3, 2008, 12:15 PM - 12:00 AM
Location: Main Church
The Main Church is located at 603 Church Ave. one block North of Texas A&M in Northgate.
EM stands for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.
EM's are Catholics who receive a special commission from our bishop to help distribute Communion at Mass when there are not enough "ordinary ministers" (priests and deacons).
Who is eligible? Catholics who have received the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation) are eligible to serve as EM's. If you haven't received these Sacraments and would like to find out more, contact Katie Collins, our RCIA diector.
I'm an EM at my home parish, do I need to come to the class to be an EM here? Yes, for a couple reasons. Each church has it's own layout and circumstances which require customized procedures. Also, your commission as an EM is actually granted by the local bishop - so if your home parish is outside the diocese of Austin, our Bishop Gregory Aymond will commission you as an EM for this diocese.
I'm already an EM at St. Mary's - do I need to come to the training again?
- No, but you can if you want a refresher course (or pizza!)
How often will I be able to serve? Is there an EM schedule?
- During the fall and spring we make a schedule. It usually works out that you'll be scheduled about twice per month.
- You can volunteer at any Mass you attend if not enough scheduled EM's are present. (any time you see a cross necklace hanging on the wall near the Mary statue, it means we need a volunteer).
- During the summer we don't make a schedule, so you can serve any time you go to Mass (first-come-first-serve, using the cross-necklaces).
- Daily Mass - You can serve as often as you wish at daily Mass (we don't make a schedule for daily Mass, so it's first-come-first-serve).
All are invited to join the Liturgical Ministries (EM, Lector, Usher, Musician, Liturgy Coordinator, Altar Minister, etc) at St. Mary's.
- If you've been wanting to do more to serve the Church but aren't able to because of work, school, or family commitments during the week, these liturgical ministries are a great option since they require very little time outside of Mass.
- Contact Mike at St. Mary's for more info about any of these ways to serve.